Wednesday, 20 October 2010

6th (Week) Sense

Hello once again, I hope you're 'holiday' was refreshing and more productive than mine. You would expect that I bring back many tales of adventure and redemption from my week off, but unfortunately I have no real resemblance to a buccaneer of any sort. I did however get Internet at my flat during the break so now I can blog LIVE. How interesting. But I did do one worthwhile thing during the break and that was a gig. I was asked to do a bit of depping for an ABBA tribute band in Montrose. I played the gig, made some good contacts and made a few quid doing it. I did also met up with my producer for my specialist production class. We discussed the material for the project and I showed him some of the material. He seemed keen to start the project after he had a reminder of the studios and the equipment. We met again and discussed more stuff, but that's for later on in the blog... Other than those things not a whole lot went down.

I'm not going to lie, but this week of college had very minimal activity. We all got a nice lie in on Monday morning as Research and Management has been replaced with nice new, shiny individual dissertation discussion feedback slots (I don't think that's what it's actually called, but we'll go with it just now because 'individual slot' sounds a bit vague for what it's worth). I can't talk about that yet as I have not reached that point chronologically in my blog, so just wait a minute or scroll down. ANYWAY, that means that our first class was Digital Audio Production Multimedia, which for once I got something done of some mild value. I previously mentioned that I received my friend's script for his animated action/thriller trailer, which, to be honest I thoroughly enjoyed. Well this week in class I went through his script and took note of the various locations and characters in the script to see what instruments, styles and sounds I should use in each part of the trailer. So far I have selected some sounds which create a general tense ambience underneath the various melodies. I have also added some orchestral stabs as this seems to be a recurring trick within action/thriller trailer soundtracks. However this may all be in vain as I don't have the video yet so I don't have timings for each section of the trailer, so it'll all just be ideas up until then.

A major disappointment with Monday is a recurring one. Yep, you guessed it. Band work that doesn't happen. This Blues Brothers thing isn't really going anywhere. However, we have discussed that we really do need to practice next week. Whither it happens or not, I don't know, but it does need to happen and soon. Despite this predicable set back my time was not totally wasted, as I decided to fill in playing bass in another band playing various soul tunes. It was good to finally play some music.

Tuesday brought me some mild activity with my first dissertation meeting thingy. This was really helpful and gave me some direction for my dissertation on Music and Alcohol, which I had been struggling with to find a starting point as my references seemed to be all invalid and redundant. Marlisa pointed out I should go down the avenue of looking at medical journals on the effects of alcohol and how that would affect various people .eg. musicians, listeners, composers .etc. I have taken note of all these things and I have researched for various essays on those subjects, which I have to comb through for next week.
Next up was Helen's art class, which could have been productive if it weren't for the absence of my less than productive designer. This threw a spanner in the works, design wise. So I researched stuff for my case study, which was great fun. I didn't find much, but I will when I attempt it at home... honest...
Finally came the production class which was pretty much just like my meeting with my producer earlier in the blog. However we decided that next week we will start putting down some drum, bass and guitar tracks. Good !

Other than that I put up some shelves, which I'm pretty proud of.

Yeah, totally.

See you later.

Daryl

No comments:

Post a Comment